Lets start learning how to deal with a narcissist by discovering the many signs that would lead you to think you were dealing with one. These are the prevelant signs:
- A pervasive pattern of grandiosity
- A need for admiration
- A lack of empathy
All as indicated by at least five of the following:
* 1 A grandiose sense of self-importance
* 2 Shows arrogant, haughty behaviours or attitudes
* 3 Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
* 4 Believes that he or she is “special” and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
* 5 Requires excessive admiration
* 6 Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favourable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
* 7 Lacks real empathy and is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
* 8 Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
* 9 Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
Have you ever met someone with at least some of these qualities? Chances are you were dealing with someone who was at least slightly narcissistic. If so you will need to learn how to deal with a narcissist and protect yourself from thier abuse.
I feel that what defines a narcissistic personality is someone who thinks they truly are, “the bee’s knees”. They think they are better than everyone else, deserve special treatment, and seem to live in their own little world. In common parlance: they are SELFISH. There’s usually an ‘entitlement’ thing going on; where he/she acts like a king or a queen and expects people to drop everything to ‘serve’ him/her.
Narcissists are some of the most frustrating and crazy-making people to deal with in the universe. My hope is that you have no clue what I have just spoken about because you’ve never experienced it, but I bet you do know from personal experience. Narcissism abounds in this crazy world of ours.
In order to protect yourself from people like this, use the criteria for narcissism listed at the beginning of this article to discern whether someone in your life may be narcissistic. Then do whatever you have to do in order to protect yourself from being a victim of this person and their insanity. There are a lot of good books and websites out there, which will help you in this vein.
Read as much as you can. Educate yourself. Discover how to deal with a narcissist then take the steps necessary to protect yourself and your children (if they are affected).